Tiryak means transverse or oblique or slanting or leaning. Tādā means a mountain or upright or a palm tree.
- Stand in Tāḍāsana.
- Move your feet one foot apart.
- Slowly with inhalation raise your arms above your head, interlock your fingers, twist your hands so that palms facing upwards, stretch your arms above your head.
- Slowly with exhalation bend towards right side.
- Hold the posture with normal breathing for about 20-30 sec.
- Slowly with inhalation come up and with exhalation bring your arms down.
- Repeat the same on other side.
- Come to Tāḍāsana and relax.
- Tiryaka Tāḍāsana provides an intense side stretch from waist to shoulder, if the body is twisted at the hips then the stretch and the benefits are lost.
- Reduces accumulated fat around the waist.
- Activates the lateral regions.
- Opens up the chest.
- Flexes and strengthens the shoulders.
- Good for the back and abdomen.