Sālamba refers to with support. Sarva means all or entire, anga means limbs. The entire body gets benefit from this pose.
- Lie flat on the back on the carpet.
- Keep the legs stretched out, tighten the legs at the knees. Place the hands by the side of the body palms facing down.
- Inhale, raise the both legs at a time up to 45 degrees angle and hold this pose for a while.
- Continue raising and hold the position when the legs are at 90 degrees angle.
- With full inhalation raise the trunk off the floor by bending the legs at the hips.
- Now the trunk should be perpendicular to the floor and legs should be parallel to the floor.
- Now bend the hands at the elbows and place the palms on the waist and by pushing your back with hands raise the legs up vertically.
- The chin should be locked in between the breast bones. Chin should not take to the chest but chest should be taken to the chin.
- Now the whole body should be perpendicular to the ground.
- The distance in between the elbows should not be more than the shoulder length.
- Remain in the final pose for about 5 minutes. Slowly increase the time to 15 to 20 minutes.
- This will have no ill effects.
- Release the hands and bring down the legs in the same way you raised and relax.
- Persons suffering from hypertension (high blood pressure) should not attempt this pose.
- Persons suffering from cervical spondylosis should not attempt this pose.
- The importance of this pose cannot be over-emphasised.
- This pose activates the thyroid and parathyroid glands by increasing the blood supply to them.
- The impure blood from the parts of the body through veins flows to heart without any strain.
- The pure blood is allowed to circulate around the neck and chest.
- The regular practice of sarvāngāsana brings new vigour and strength.
- People who practices this pose regularly will be happy and confident.
- By regular practice of sarvāngāsana the mind will be at peace and one and feel the joy of life.
- Due to firm chin lock persons suffering from throat ailments, palpitation, breathlessness gets relived.
- This is the remedy for the common cold it cures headaches.
- Persons suffering from piles, constipation, hernia, anemia, epilepsy, etc… gets relief form this pose.
- It is a panacea for most common ailments.