Daṇḍa means a staff.
- Sit on the floor with legs stretched straight in front. Place the palms on the floor by the side of the hips, the fingers pointing forward. Keep the back erect. Don’t bend the hands at elbows and don’t raise the elbows.
- Pull the stomach in, push the chest forward.
- Stay in this position for a few seconds with normal breathing.
- This is the starting pose (stiti) for all sitting postures.
- Strengthens the back muscles.
- Improves the digestion.
- Opens up the chest.
- Stretches the shoulder muscles and shoulder blades.
- Good for the knees, firms the quadriceps and abdominal muscles.
- Improves posture.