Ardha means half. Matsya refers to a fish.
- Lie flat on the back on a carpet.
- Keep the legs stretched out and tighten them at the knees, Pointed toes.
- Place the hands under the buttocks, palms facing downwards.
- Keep the elbows straight and pull them inwards, so that back of the fore arm touching the ground.
- Chest wide open.
- Inhale, with the help of elbows and forearms raise the head and the chest off the floor slowly.
- Exhale, place the crown of the head on the floor and push the chest as high as possible.
- Hold this pose for about one minute with normal breathing.
- Inhale, slowly raise the head off the ground.
- Exhale, place the spine slowly on the ground and then head simultaneously.
- Release the hands and relax in Shavasana.
- The dorsal region is stretched and chest is expended.
- The capacity of the lungs increases.
- Thyroid gland is toned by the pose.
- Persons suffering from cough gets benefited by this pose.